Monday, September 15, 2008

The Canadian Dream...

"Dreams are made if people only try. I believe in miracles...I have to...because somewhere the hurting must stop."
-Terrance Stanley Fox (from the monument in Thunder Bay, ON)We live in a world where HOPE (Happy, Optimistic, Positive Energy) is the rationale for many of the actions we do.  I'll be the first to admit that I hope for a lot of things, such as, everyday, the wind being at my back, blue skies, temperatures around 15 C and Canada being all downhill-But I don't get everything I hope for!  Each day presents its own challenges. 
Over the course of almost 6 months, you come to realize what an actual challenge is.  28 years ago Terry Fox took on his own challenge to tell Canada and the rest of the world that together we can be leaders for improving the life of those individuals who must deal with a cancer diagnosis.  Often, while running, I try to imagine what life would be like without the actions and legacy of Terry Fox.
All too often it is easy to get caught up in one's life and not realize how fortunate we actually are to simply live in one of the wealthiest countries in the world.  While on this run- what has bothered me the most is why one of the wealthiest countries in the world cannot provide an adequate strategy, awareness education, research, as well as, support and services to the increasing number of children and families that deal with Autism?  There is a growing gap in this country- those who have access to achieve dreams and those who do not.  My Canada is a country where we all have the ability to achieve dreams!  Everyone's help is needed!  Lets not forget what really matters in life- HOPE! 

The Dream Continues...And Rolls On.....



No comments: