Monday, September 22, 2008

First Day of Fall....

"The only constant in life is change."
                               -Anonymous
Everyday is a new day.  A new problem.  A new solution.  A new obstacle.  A new opportunity. Just when you get comfortable a new variable enters the equation which changes everything.  Has this ever happened to you?
Here on the road, running 6 days a week, 5 hours a day can be mentally and physically exhausting. No day has been perfect, but we work with the obstacles and turn them into opportunities.  It is a once in a lifetime experience to see Canada step-by-step and view firsthand how others achieve their dreams and what holds us back.  I'll be the first to admit that wind, rain and other elements bother me sometimes when I run, but after seeing the barriers of what children and families who deal with Autism on a daily basis face, I'd be selfish to think my running issues are real problems.  Quit has never been part of my character and is not in the make-up of individuals faced with the challenge of Autism!  On a daily basis, if you are not directly affected by Autism- Trust me when I say the issue is very real and has a great barrier of misinformation and misunderstanding!  

Today, we will be entering Terry's hometown of Dryden, ON.  The local celebrity is coming home!  I'll be tagging along and reporting back tomorrow..


The Dream Continues...And Rolls On...

2 comments:

jypsy said...

"Trust me when I say the issue is very real and has a great barrier of misinformation and misunderstanding!"

"He said he wants to get people talking about the fact that 10 years ago one in 10,000 kids born was affected by autism, but today it's one in 165, "and people don't know why"."

That, sir, is misinformation that you are spreading.

Anonymous said...

Jypsy is correct. 10 years ago is 1998. I don't think you realize how mistaken that statement is.

And in any case, the earliest epidemiology, from 1967, gives a prevalence of 4.5 in 10,000, not 1 in 10,000. That, of course, was determined using autism criteria that is completely different and more narrow than what is used today.

The "epidemic" talk is completely unscientific and does not help autistic people at all.