Monday, May 19, 2008

Hello from Halifax!

"Happiness is only real when shared."
- Christopher McCandless (Into The Wild)

The title of today's blog is a little pre-emptive, give or take 26 kms, but after this afternoon's 50kms, accompanied by a jump into Fletcher's Lake, will make tomorrow's run to the Dartmouth Ferry Terminal an enjoyable and relaxed one! 40 run days are in the books!This past weekend was the Bluenose Marathon here in Halifax and I couldn't stay away on my day off. And yes, I felt like jumping in, but my first Americano, in two months, from Starbucks held me back, as well as leaving all my running shoes in Truro! For those interested, this marathon is a tough one! I have never seen a course layout on such tough terrain- Hills, hills and more hills. But I guess if you like a good challenge this is the place to be! The winning time was 2 hrs and 48 mins. I am always a fan of a good running story and so as the finishers crossed the line the announcer would be saying things like: "This runner, finishing 3rd, with a time of 3 hrs 12 mins is 70 years old!" or " This runner is completing his 191st ever marathon!" I was just shaking my head in awe! There is a lot of preparation that goes into training for these races, whether the 2km, 5km, 10km, half marathon or full marathon. A lot of people make promises to run these races and those who follow through on this great achievement should be congratulated!Well friends, this week is shaping up to be a special one (see runthedream.ca) and so I will have a lot more to report on very soon! Today, I leave you with pictures of the amazing landscape seen over the past 40 running days. I'll let you guess which picture is the fjord like mountains of Newfoundland and Labrador; the calm waters of Bras D'or Lake in Nova Scotia; and the red soil of Prince Edward Island.

The Dream Continues.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What you're doing Jonathan is amazing - keep it up bud. The world could use a few more people like you in it.

Jody Jeffrey